XR Design Studies With Oculus Quest 2
UCSD Spring Break Research Experience 2021
We are soliciting participation in a set of VR-facilitated design activities and field studies from March 22-26 to support XR/AR projects at the Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, the Arthur C. Clarke Center for Human Imagination, and the Human-Centered and Ubiquitous Computing Lab.
Participating students will have access to a Quest 2 for the week of Spring Break. Through design activities (10-15 minutes each) offered remotely (e.g. in their residence), students will contribute to the design of a programming platform in 3D space and of assistive health care technologies. Participant responses and performance will inform the development of our platforms.
We will conduct Zoom-led focus groups/check-in meetings during the week and introduce VR worldbuilding methods.
- We will distribute Oculus Quest 2 headsets to participating students on Monday 3/22. Details TBD
- We will collect the headsets on Monday 3/29.
view studies here
Monday 3/22 (Orientation)
Morning (in person)
- Pickup headsets from campus
- Collect PID, verify ID
- Each quest has a serial number
- fill out this form
- Altspace Hang and VR Game Night (start in zoom)
- Start in zoom
- Hang in Altspace
Tuesday (Sketch Studies)
- How to get the PDF instructions/prompt for the studies
- How to record videos
- How to upload/email videos
- How to upload/email exported Gravity Sketch
- Research tasks:
- Talk through the first set of research activities
Wednesday (VR Worldbuilding)
Morning (Altspace VR)
- VR Worldbuilding
- Tour Afterville (11am)
- Discuss VR worldbuilding with Patrick Coleman.
- Study Checkin (zoom)
- noon Check in on study progress, questions (zoom)
- Clarke Center Talk
- Cory Doctorow, Kali Wallace, and Karen Osborne (Zoom)
Thursday (Custom App Studies)
- Debrief on Sketching studies
- Orientation (App Studies)
- How to install our apps to the headset
- How to use hand tracking
- How to record video
- participants run a second set of studies on their own time
- Debrief on App studies.
- Potential last check in and add more studies
Saturday/Sunday (Free Time)
- Free time with VR for participants.
Monday 3/29 (Drop Off)
- Equipment drop off (in person). Time TBD
- Will do a poll to determine afternoon time
- Students return headsets on campus
This work is supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant #2017042